[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways (2nd Part)

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:20:20 GMT 2012

2012/10/17 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> 2012/10/17 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:
> > Same image as before:
> > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Lanes_Example_2.png
> >
> > Now consider part 4 to 6. At what point would you split the way coming
> > from part 4?
> > a) Before the end of part 4
> > b) At the end of part 4/start of part 5
> > c) In the middle of part 5
> > d) At the end of part 5/start of part 6
> > e) Tell me!
>

> d)
> isn't this almost the same question? If you don't split the way for
> part 5 you cannot do a) or b) and given how short part 5 is, there is
> no real difference between c) and d) (but splitting "in the middle"
> doesn't seem good advice at anytime).

Just to be clear: I agree with Martin Koppenhoefer on splitting the ways
only if there is a physical division. However, for the sake of geometry, I
prefer to anticipate the split a bit, which is why I would put the split in
section 5 or maybe even earlier - the actual position depends on how long
section 5 is and how harsh the split is.

Regards!