[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Oct 18 15:48:32 BST 2012

Am 18.10.2012 16:25, schrieb Simone Saviolo:
> 2012/10/18 Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com
> <mailto:seav80 at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:15 PM, Simone Saviolo
>     <simone.saviolo at gmail.com <mailto:simone.saviolo at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > 2012/10/12 Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:seav80 at gmail.com>>
>     >>
>     >> However, I personally don't think your example of putting the
>     URLs to
>     >> a place's webpage on foursquare, Google+, Yelp, TripAdvisor,
>     etc. is
>     >> the way to go.
>     >>
>     >> OSM is not a link directory so adding many such links on the OSM
>     >> database doesn't seem appropriate. One or two is maybe OK.
>     >
>     >
>     > I don't agree. If we follow that reasoning consistently, we may
>     conclude
>     > that tagging a bar on OSM is wrong, because OSM is not a bar
>     directory, and
>     > its name may change, and it may close, etc.
>
>     The difference between a link directory and a bar directory is that
>     bars have physical locations and make them amenable to be included in
>     the OSM database.
>
>     That is not the case with links to third-party websites.
>

> Ok, then what about their opening hours? What about their operator, or
> their cuisine?
Cuisine often is essential even for the basic map stuff: a map about
pizzarias vs. a map about chinese restaurants, or a map that has
distinct icons for different food and drink facilities.
The operator might be interesting, too, e.g. to get all parking spaces
operated by a specific company, all bus stops operated by a particular
public transport operator and so on, again e.g. as a map.

regards
Peter