[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Oct 18 16:17:36 BST 2012

Am 18.10.2012 16:54, schrieb Simone Saviolo:
> 2012/10/18 Peter Wendorff <wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
> <mailto:wendorff at uni-paderborn.de>>
>
>     Cuisine often is essential even for the basic map stuff: a map
>     about pizzarias vs. a map about chinese restaurants, or a map that
>     has distinct icons for different food and drink facilities.
>     The operator might be interesting, too, e.g. to get all parking
>     spaces operated by a specific company, all bus stops operated by a
>     particular public transport operator and so on, again e.g. as a map.
>

> Good explanation, I like this. However there is still the opening
> hours. How would you use it on a map? Would you make a dynamic map in
> which only amenities that are open *now* are drawn?
that's one possible, and I remember at least one map where exactly that
was done (but I don't know the link currently).
A student community at my university operates a page with delivering
restaurants including "open", "opening soon", "closed", "closing soon".
It allows to find a currently open pizza delivery to place your order.
Currently there isn't a map and they don't use osm data for that, but
it's useful for students who forget to buy something for dinner while
sitting in the university and learning ;)
> If data like this was wrong, it would be a disaster!
That's the beat-all argument to stop operating osm as a whole.
It's a similar disaster if your garmin fails to find the destination
point and much more. That's not different here.
> Amenity visibilty would be tampered with by simply editing its opening
> hours!
Now you're talking about vandalism? wrong data because of people
willingly adding wrong opening hours to e.g. hide competitors?
That's nothing due to opening hours, without it would be as easy to
delete the restaurant as a whole.
> Now I'm probably exaggerating, but the point is that opening hours is
> the same kind of "OpenAmenityDirectory" information as links to web
> pages are. You can't use it geographically to make a map about opening
> hours.
That's true for every tag to a certain degree.
As described above: I can do a (e.g. web) map that marks restaurants as
open or closed. I can do a map that shows the website of the object.

regards
Peter