[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 16:34:54 BST 2012

2012/10/18 Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>:
> That said, most people expect to include information like opening
> hours and operators into the OSM database as these are intrinsic
> properties of these amenities. Links to web pages *about* the amenity
> on third-party websites are not intrinsic properties.

I think we have to differentiate here. Some of these services have
pages *about* an object (like foursquare, TripAdvisor, ...) and others
have pages maintained *by* the "object" (company etc.) itself, e.g.
facebook, myspace, twitter, ...

If we allow "website" as link out of OSM it'd like to allow links to
the second group above as well, as long as the content is freely
accessible (i.e. no registration or login required to view the
content). We might also think of allowing links to the first group,
but it should be restricted to open data databases/content (e.g. we
already link to wikipedia).

cheers,
Martin