[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Oct 19 08:09:50 BST 2012

Am 18.10.2012 17:16, schrieb Simone Saviolo:
> [...]
>
> Peter, I am just a little bit dubious about the guideline you
> described. A good marketing campaign would include (if multiple social
> services are used) a website with the main content and regular posts
> on the social networks about instant news. Usually the website would
> have a link to those social networks, so tagging the website alone
> would be all that's needed. However, suppose the website of a
> restaurant shows one type of information (maybe something static like
> the menu) and all the "important" news is on the restaurant's Facebook
> page, which is not linked to from the site. Or suppose that different
> services (the website, the Facebook page, and the Twitter stream)
> provided different kinds of information and contact. Would you be for
> or against tagging them all, in that case?
Usually yes.
OSM is no marketing support tool.
OSM is not and IMHO should not be responsible to tie different parts of
a bad marketing campaign together.

As you wrote yourself: "Usually the website would have a link to those
social networks, so tagging the website alone would be all that's needed."
For me that is: Use that central website as website, and nothing else.
If there isn't (e.g. because it's NOT a GOOD marketing campaign) use no
website at all or choose one you know.
If the most central website of the facility is the facebook website,
well... use that in osm, (probably add "if it's relevant for the POI
(and not for marketing only)", as you like personally).

regards
Peter