[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Obstacle

John Sturdy jcg.sturdy at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 11:59:50 GMT 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> There is already a specification, to whom it is an obstacle
> (obstacle:car, ...) maybe we could have an additional
> obstacle:waterway for all waterbased transport (or more
> differentiated, it is probably important whether you go in canoe or
> with a big freight ship, this should be discussed with the marine
> mappers how it would be best done).

Where an obstacle is at the crossing of two ways, it should be made
clear which of the ways it is an obstacle on.  In particular, a bridge
might be an obstacle to the way passing under it (if it's a low one,
or has a narrow arch) or to the way passing over it (by being narrow
from parapet to parapet).  But this shouldn't be a problem if the
object tagged as "obstacle" is a way rather than a node.  What would
be the best way to tag a low bridge carrying a canal over a river, for
example? (I'm pretty sure there are some examples of this.)  Tag a
short section of the river as "obstacle", where it passes under the
bridge?

__John