[Tagging] Exclusive access rights

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 29 19:42:15 GMT 2012

On 29/10/2012 18:29, Martin Vonwald (imagic) wrote:
> Am 29.10.2012 um 14:27 schrieb Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de
> <mailto:osm at tobias-knerr.de>>:
>
>> It is currently not valid - vehicle types can only appear in the key,
>> whereas "groups of users" (forestry, customers, delivery, ...) can only
>> appear in the value. For the "groups of users", it actually gives
>> exclusive access rights to that group.
>
> That's how I understand it. Thanks for the confirmation.
>
>> I can imagine changing this if we find a nice definition. Of course
>> applications would not be compatible with that at first, but mappers
>> could simply refrain from using it excessively and limit the use to
>> lanes and similar cases where compatibility doesn't matter as much.
>
> I'm afraid that we wouldn't get app-support for this. On the other hand
> if mappers are forced to use a lot of tags simply to specify what kind
> of vehicles are allowed for each lane, I believe most mappers will just
> forget about it. It's not worth the hassle especially as in the
> beginning no apps would support it. And as no-one maps it then why
> should apps support it? That's one of the drawbacks of the
> consumer-centered view: create theoretically perfect tagging schemes
> that are wonderfully easy to process - and so hard to map that there's
> no need to implement the processing because no one is using the scheme.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Here is a simple proposal that avoids confusion with the existing access
restrictions.

special_use_lanes = no | no | hgv

(or "special_use:lanes = .." to be consistent with other lanes tags)

Values can be 'no' (no special limitations apply to this lane), 'hgv',
'psv', 'hov' etc.

"special_use_lanes" is just a suggestion, other words not making an
association to "access" could also be used. Other ideas:
"special_lanes", "exclusive_use_lanes"

Would this be a useful way forward?

Ole / polderrunner