[Tagging] Exclusive access rights

Martin Vonwald (imagic) imagic.osm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:29:44 GMT 2012

Am 29.10.2012 um 14:27 schrieb Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:

> It is currently not valid - vehicle types can only appear in the key,
> whereas "groups of users" (forestry, customers, delivery, ...) can only
> appear in the value. For the "groups of users", it actually gives
> exclusive access rights to that group.

That's how I understand it. Thanks for the confirmation.

> I can imagine changing this if we find a nice definition. Of course
> applications would not be compatible with that at first, but mappers
> could simply refrain from using it excessively and limit the use to
> lanes and similar cases where compatibility doesn't matter as much.

I'm afraid that we wouldn't get app-support for this. On the other hand if mappers are forced to use a lot of tags simply to specify what kind of vehicles are allowed for each lane, I believe most mappers will just forget about it. It's not worth the hassle especially as in the beginning no apps would support it. And as no-one maps it then why should apps support it? That's one of the drawbacks of the consumer-centered view: create theoretically perfect tagging schemes that are wonderfully easy to process - and so hard to map that there's no need to implement the processing because no one is using the scheme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Martin