[Tagging] name of river/admin area

Jaakko Helleranta.com jaakko at helleranta.com
Tue Sep 4 01:56:36 BST 2012

I just _had_ to check what that is/was...

The NYC node (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/61785451) was along
those lines: alt-name=New York City -> fixed to alt_name=* .. but also
added official_name=New York City -- and just now short_name=NYC

The city website (http://nyc.gov) seems to use *New York City* pretty
clearly as The Name for NYC -- even though e.g. the organizational chart (
http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/pdf/citywide_org_chart.pdf) talks of (the voters
of) the City of New York as do some other snippets here and there. ...  My
10 years of ESL in English speaking environment would tend to think that
you could do this for almost any "X City" -> "voters of the City of X". ..
Makes it sound more official / referring to the concept of the city as a
juridical creature. .. I haven't checked any NYC legislation .. I guess
that would be The Way to figure out the (real) official_name=*.

Just my 2 cents,
-Jaakko