[Tagging] name of river/admin area

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 02:46:07 BST 2012

On Sep 3, 2012 8:57 PM, "Jaakko Helleranta.com" <jaakko at helleranta.com>
wrote:
My 10 years of ESL in English speaking environment would tend to think that
you could do this for almost any "X City" -> "voters of the City of X". ..

Not true in general.  I think the main reason New York gets City appended
so often is so as not to confuse it with the State.  After all, the city is
about as big and important as some entire states.  This is the only
American city I know of with an optional trailing "City" in its name.

A city local and familiar to me is Hilliard, or formally, the City Of
Hilliard.  It would not be correct to call it Hilliard City — though some
here might think that sounds right, due to the existence of the Hilliard
City School District, which is not actually a component of the City Of
Hilliard…

Another example is Grove City, which I mentioned before.  I checked, and it
is in fact formally the City Of Grove City.  It would certainly not be
correct to call it the City Of Grove.

To summarize, in general US city names either end with the word City or
they don't.  Whether or not the "City Of" prefix is used does not change
that.