[Tagging] Ferry lines, ways or relations?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:57:30 BST 2012

2012/9/7 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
> How do we address durations[1] of ferry lines? It can't be tagged on the
> way, because different ferry lines have different speeds. And you can't put
> it on the relation, because one relation can represent several different
> trips, from island to island.

IMHO you can tag this either on the ferry lines (ways) or on the
relations, but if you do it you will have to have a distinct object
for each line / all lines that share the same properties, i.e. you
might have to add more objects (relations/ways) in order to tag the
travel time.

> Is the solution to make a separate relation for every trip from a terminal
> to a terminal, and then put them in a master relation? That would seem
> similar to the new public transport proposal[2].

why would you want to make a "master relation"? Relations are not categories.

Cheers,
Martin