[Tagging] Ferry lines, ways or relations?

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 13:50:20 BST 2012

2012/9/7 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>

> IMHO you can tag this either on the ferry lines (ways) or on the
> relations, but if you do it you will have to have a distinct object
> for each line / all lines that share the same properties, i.e. you
> might have to add more objects (relations/ways) in order to tag the
> travel time.

I agree, this is ok for simple cases.

why would you want to make a "master relation"? Relations are not
> categories.

In the new accepted public transport scheme you have one relation that
represents the bus going from A-B and a different relation that represents
B-A. Since it is the same bus line, they are then put into a master
relation. I don't know if that is considered a case of "relation as a
category".

In a similar way, you have a ferry that goes from A-B-C-D (different
islands). Where do I write the duration from island A-B, B-C and C-D? I
guess I can make a relation for every one of those trips (a relation
because those same ways are used buy other ferry lines). Following the
public transport scheme logic, I can then put those relations in a master
relation, to show that this is the same ferry line (and this master
relation would have a ref, operator, etc..). Each ferry line would have a
different master relation.

If we have a case of one boat going across a river, it should be one line,
one set of tags. But here on the Croatian coast, things are a bit more
complicated than that. Lines even have different variations that are used
on different days. If we want to have this in our database, I'm afraid we
have to make things a bit more complicated.

Janko