[Tagging] manger/feeding place

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 08:22:31 BST 2012

Hi!

While digging through the wiki and taginfo on the search for a tag for
a manger I stumbled upon amenity=game_feeding (unknown status and used
20 times according to taginfo). This seems to be a tag used for a
manger to feed game animals. Not exactly what I'm looking for because
I need a manger for all kinds of animals. But on that page also
alternative tags are presented which may fit my needs (taginfo-count
in parenthesis):
* amenity=feeding_place (2)
* amenity=manger (12)
* amenity=feeding_rack (11)
* amenity=cratch (4)
* man_made=cratch (10)
* man_made=animal_feeding (12)

I also stumbled upon some subkeys:
* feeding:for (6)
* feeding:type (6) -> 3 times cratch and 3 times manger as value

Not really a clear favourite here. I also need a tag for an automated
feeding station; my first thought was amenity=feeding_station. Now I
guess that these two can be combined into the following:
* amenity=feeding_place
* feeding:type=manger/automated
* feeding:for=<animal>
* feeding:fooder=<fooder>

Any thoughts? I would write a proposal to document the tag and its subkey.

regards,
Martin