[Tagging] Mismatched Level of Detail in highways vs. other elements

John Baker rovastar at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 02:44:50 UTC 2013

As you are talking about rendering of the roads. I am actually looking at this for the new cartoCSS mapnik style for osm.org.
Currently we have several omissions in the mapping for level 18. I think 'all' roads just use the width for the level17 zoom. This is unrealitisic and misleding. I am working on 'correcting' this for level18 and tidying up all other zoom levels.
There are many enhancements to be gained.

Also relating directly to this I am looking add lanes too. So the width of the rendered roads will reflected by the amount of lanes.
So a 8 lane motorway will have a thicker line width that will much better reflect the real world and give the more instant graphical impression of major roads on all/many zoom levels.

But early days so far to get the rendering looking right and the complexities of the tunnels, bridges, construction tags for these ways and what to do/look best when, for example, 8 lane road split into two 3 lane roads.
Maybe even show in the rendering road markings for the lanes.....
But the biggest task I feel will be trying to getting to any change anything on osm.org.....:(

But I am going more off topic. Hopefully rendering the examples in this thread will be improved in the future.