[Tagging] Mismatched Level of Detail in highways vs. other elements

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 11:13:05 UTC 2013

2013/4/9 Martin Atkins <mart at degeneration.co.uk>

> Right. It seems like the schematic vs. detail tagging situation is pretty
> good for streets if you accept the area:highway proposal:
>     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/**wiki/Proposed_features/area:**highway<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/area:highway>
>
> Under this proposal you have area:highway as the detail element, and the
> existing highway ways as the routing network element, so the two tagging
> schemes can easily coexist without trampling one another.

there is also the area-relation proposal which aims at mapping (beside
other) implicit highway polygons:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Area

The idea is that you only map "parallels" to the highway way (at the outer
border of the sidewalk and eventually the kerbs) and then connect the two
sides via a relation. This way you don't need the traversing ways (usually
used to close the polygon on the small sides) which really helps a lot to
avoid misconnections of the routing graph and the highway-areas. Until now
this type of relation is not supported, but it is not really complicated to
do it. To help the renderers I guess that the direction of the two parallel
ways should be the same (otherwise you risk to get X-like connections).

cheers,
Martin