[Tagging] Mismatched Level of Detail in highways vs. other elements

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Tue Apr 9 19:10:27 UTC 2013

Hi Martin,

Am Sonntag, 7. April 2013, 13:35:23 schrieb Martin Atkins:
> I wonder if the root problem is that we've conflated the idea of the
> physical construct of a street with its parallel in the routing network.

IMHO the underlying main problem is that OSM is steadily moving towards some kind of OpenGeoDump™:

• Something has coordinates? – Put it into the OSM database, because OSM is about coordinates!

• Don't know how to set up a GIS system? – Put it into the OSM database, because nothing beats an existing GIS setup!

• Don't know how to keep data up-to-date? – Put it into the OSM database, because it's the duty of OSM people to maintain your data!

(You might notice some kind of pattern.)

Eckhart