[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (highway=bicyle_crossing)

Alberto albertoferraris at fastwebnet.it
Thu Apr 18 23:49:44 UTC 2013

> my interpretation would be that "no" means that they are not permitted to
ride across the crossing". If you tag a node the tags apply to this node,
and therefor also the street would be blocked at this node for the bicycle.
> OK, that wouldn't make much sense, I agree, still, the wiki doesn't really
help us here, and a tagging in this way might have unpredicted results.
> IMHO it is generally not a very good idea to reuse access-tags to specify
the type of crossing, at least not on a node. Effectively a crossing is
never 1-dimensional, it would result in much clearer mapping to tag the
crossing in its whole length (way) for unambiguity.

I completely agree with Martin. BUT in some cases crossings are tagged only
with a node, especially in initial mapping.
So we are here again: what's about the proposal for cicleway-only-crossing
tag, like highway=bicycle_crossing? After all it is a specific OSM object,
we haven't a tag for it and workarounds using key:access can be
misunderstood. So why not a new tag?
OR we must write in the wiki that cicleway-only-crossings have to be mapped
ALWAYS as ways. But then for consistency we should tag also pedestrian
crossings always as ways...
Cheers
Alberto