[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (highway=bicyle_crossing)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 21:44:15 UTC 2013

2013/4/18 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>

> On 18.04.2013 21:56, Alberto wrote:
> >
> >> It should not prevent this. We already use tags like bicycle=no on
> >> crossings, and they do not mean that bicycles may not travel along the
> >> street being crossed - only that this crossing is not for them.
> >> More generally, it would be wrong to assume that any access tag on a
> >> node within a street applies to that street. That is only the case if
> >> used together with particular other tags, such as barrier=*.
> >
> > On what basis do you say this? I can't find any documentation about this
> > interpretation.
>
> http://wiki.osm.org/Key:crossing lists the two access keys bicycle=* and
> horse=* as possible tagging for crossings and makes it quite clear what
> they mean in that context.

yes, it reads: "bicycle=*
A value of yes means that pedal cyclists are permitted to ride across the
crossing."

my interpretation would be that "no" means that they are not permitted to
ride across the crossing". If you tag a node the tags apply to this node,
and therefor also the street would be blocked at this node for the bicycle.

OK, that wouldn't make much sense, I agree, still, the wiki doesn't really
help us here, and a tagging in this way might have unpredicted results.

IMHO it is generally not a very good idea to reuse access-tags to specify
the type of crossing, at least not on a node. Effectively a crossing is
never 1-dimensional, it would result in much clearer mapping to tag the
crossing in its whole length (way) for unambiguity.

> I can't find any documentation supporting your interpretation on
> Key:access either, so at most we can say that this aspect is
> insufficiently documented.

I disagree here, the first 2 lines of key:access read: "Access values are
used to describe the legal access for highway=*s and other facilities
including building entrances. The values can be used with the access tag or
with tags associated with particular forms of transport."
then there is a box which says you can use these tags on nodes, ways and
polygons. Does this really leave room for different interpretations?

cheers,
Martin