[Tagging] railway=abandoned + highway=cycleway (was: [OSM-talk-be] Abandoned Railways / cycleways)

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Fri Apr 19 15:11:13 UTC 2013

* Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> [2013-04-20 00:25 +1000]:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 4:19 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:
> >  a) If the trail meanders a little from side to side (where the old
> >     railway would have just gone straight), I match the way to the trail
> >     and trust that the semantics of "this used to be a railway" remain
> >     intact.
>
> Interesting. I can't think of any around here that do that - must be a
> cultural thing.

I don't think I've seen it all that much, but the College Park Trolley
Trail outside Washington DC is an example: http://osm.org/go/ZZc1mvedD- .
The trolley went straight, but the trail, which is (last I saw it) largely
unpaved and really more for foot traffic than bikes[0], wanders a lot more
from side to side than the rails did.

[0] So I'm not sure I understand its current tagging, but it's been a
    while since I was there in person, so maybe they've made it more
    bike-amenable.