[Tagging] railway=abandoned + highway=cycleway (was: [OSM-talk-be] Abandoned Railways / cycleways)

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Mon Apr 22 14:39:18 UTC 2013

Am 18.04.2013, 17:22 Uhr, schrieb Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:33 AM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>>
>> From OSM-talk-be, with best regards.  I put the questions before the
>> replies ;-)

>> IMVHO, there is no railway if there are no rails, just a cycleway, just
>> one way.
>> And the intention may be to add information that there was a railway
>> there, the genesis.
>> How then explain the wiki rules: "railway=abandoned" and "add
>> highway=cycleway to railway=abandoned" instead of "add ...???... >>to
>> highway=cycleway"?
>
> Hi. I have a bit of an interest in rail trails. For those not well
> versed in them, these are where an old train line has been
> decommissioned, the rails have >been pulled up, and a bike path runs
> where the trains used to. Usually the bike path has to diverge from the
> original alignment at certain points, where >the land has been sold, or
> there's a bridge missing or something.
>
> So, there are few options for tagging:
>
> 1) A single way: "railway=abandoned | highway=cycleway | name=Blah Rail
> Trail | surface=unpaved" (usually with a cycle route relation as well)
> Advantages:
> -  easy, can quickly convert a mapped train line into a rail trail
> - preserves the relationship between bike path and train line (eg, it's
> easy for a data consumer to pull out ways that are rail trails)
> - can use this information for rendering (eg, show the bike path in a
> special way when it's a rail trail, and don't render the train line
> directly)
>
> Disadvantages
> - tag clashes, particularly "name=" - is this the name of the bike path,
> or of the former train line?
>
> 2) Two ways, not sharing nodes
> Advantages:
> - keep information separate, retain everything about the train line
> Disadvantages:
> - messy for editing, rendering
>
> 3 Two ways, sharing nodes
> Advantages:
> - "clean", most precise
> Disadvantages:
> - really bad for editing (hard to select between multiple colinear ways)
> - really bad for rendering (totally unpredictable which of the two ways
> will show, maybe they both will and will look terrible)
>
> Steve

Hi,
i think using the same way and add tags is the best solution:
The railway has no sharp corners and no extreme incline, so it is
generally good for cycling. The tag railway=abandoned on a cycleway can be
an indicator for a non-hilly (=power-saving) cycleway.
If you use solution 2) or 3), you don't know easily, that this is a
cycleway without strong incline.

The railway name (and other properties) can be add by relation, old_name
or railway:name