[Tagging] access at own risk

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Thu Aug 1 00:12:52 UTC 2013

Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> writes:

> I am sure this has been asked many times before:
> How do I tag correctly a path/track/road that bears the label "access at
> your own risk"

Don't use the access tag :-)  That's about right of access, and that
sort of sign is usually either:

  a real warning that it's physically difficult (which is separate from
  'no trespassing'

or

  some notion like "road legally closed.  proceed at your own risk" that
  shows up in roads under construction when really it's obvious that
  it's intended they still be used, but there's some disclaimer of the
  usual liability.  Connecticut, US is notorious for this.  ("state
  legally closed" is the old joke from 10+ years ago)

So I'd say that each kind of situation probably should get its own tag -
the above two situations are totally different.

A 'hazard' tag was suggested.  I would say it's wrong to use a hazard
tag because there's a "this is scary" sign, rather than it actually
being hazardous.

I'd try to avoid interpreting and use somemthing like

  notice=at_own_risk

which keeps OSM out of the interpretation/liabiltiy-discussion business
- instead just noting that there is a sign that says this sort of thing.