[Tagging] Hiking tracks as POIs in Brazil

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 13:43:46 UTC 2013

If hiking trails are foot route relations, then perhaps "trailhead"
(or more generically "head") could be a role in the relation marking
where it starts.

I think trailhead=yes would work in a node to which you could assign a
"name" tag for the trail. (This is similar to how I've tagged named
entrances to large buildings such as large malls, not sure if it is
totally correct.) As for an area, one could be forced to name it (say,
a parking lot) according to something else (the name of the parking
lot), not the trail's name.

A trailhead looks like some sort of "entrance" to me. While the
"entrance" tag is specific to buildings, other kinds of entrances or
exits (cave entrances, motorway junctions, gates) always use a tag
that refers to the kind of element they give access to (nature=,
highway=, barrier=). One could use perhaps "leisure=trailhead" or
"sport=trailhead" (depending on what you think hiking is, a leisure
activity or a sport activity, the English Wikipedia suggests its
closer to a sport). "Sport" seems more appropriate for various kinds
of trails (such as cycling).

Should I move this discussion to the talk-nps list?