[Tagging] Hiking tracks as POIs in Brazil

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Aug 9 11:21:38 UTC 2013

Andrew Errington <erringtona at gmail.com> writes:

> I suppose it could be done programmatically.  It is clear which node
> is the first one, so it could be rendered differently, with extra
> detail extracted from the tags on the  track itself.  However,
> explicit is better than implicit, so I'd like to see something for
> this.

I also think that a trailhead tag is needed.

I don't believe that implicitly determining trailheads will work.  A
trailhead is more than where a trail crosses a road; it's a
significant place to access a trail in the eyes of the hiking community,
typically (but not always) with parking and typically (but not always!)
a sign of some sort.

Something as simple as trailhead=yes could be useful, placed on either
an area way around parking, sign, and beginnings of trails, or on a node
of a trail (that's not a node of a highway).  A place with parking and 2
trails should have only one trailhead object.

Or maybe trailhead doesn't need to be connected to the hiking ways, and
it can just be a point in the general area one would stand in to follow
the instructions "meet me at the trailhead".