[Tagging] [Talk-us-nps] Feature Proposal - RFC - ranger_station

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Aug 12 20:01:13 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 4:06 AM, Thomas Colson <thomas_colson at nps.gov> wrote:

> I’d update the definition to state facilities housing law enforcement
> and/or visitor assistant services such as those commonly found in National
> Parks, Forests, Wildlife Refuges, and State Parks.

Is there anything confusingly similar to a Ranger Station, that should have
a different tag?

Example: Pinnacles National Park has a true Ranger Station, but the first
contact for many visitors is elsewhere.
The main campground everyone uses has small store and campground office.
 There's a separate desk where park rangers hang out to talk maps and
collect fees.  Without guidance I'd call this as three nodes the same
building campground office/store/ranger station.

Example: the entrance stations at Yosemite National Park offer maps,
weather reports, collect fees, and are staffed with rangers who know the
park.  These rangers have radios to call on law enforcement.  Yet this is
pretty clearly an entrance kiosk, not a ranger station.