[Tagging] incline default unit ?

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 20:20:24 UTC 2013

Clifford,

My understanding is that with some numeric OSM tags that have default
units, we do not explicitly list the units in the tag value.  For example
if we tag a highway with maxspeed=60 it is understood to mean 60 kph.  If
we want to state the maxspeed in terms of mph, then we would lists the
units,e.g. maxspeed=60 mph.

I think the specific question at hand is, is there harm in using "%" as an
"unit" with the incline tag as it is the default "unit"? (I am putting
"units" in parenthesis to hopefully avoid the discussion of dimensionless
numbers)

Mike