[Tagging] incline default unit ?

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 21:13:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-12 20:43, Mike Thompson wrote :
> My apologies if it was my post that got this off track.
>
> I think the original point was, if "%" is the default "unit", should
> we actually be putting the "%" in the tag?
>
> My view is that it is not required, but putting it in causes little harm.
While trying hard to be non technical, % is not a unit (dimension) but a
multiplier.
In km, m is the unit (meter) and k is the multiplier (1000).
In "%" there is no unit and the multiplier is .01.
My snippy comment means that many people seeing "10" would ask "10 what?".
A dimensionless value is disturbing and that's why people like to keep
something with %.
So, why remove what doesn't hurt indeed, is self-describing and that
everybody understands?
It ain't broke ! ;-)

For technical people, a 10% slope is .10 and a school mark is between 0
and 1.

But I see that several of us are writing the same thing at the same time ;-)
I just found a more interesting subject ;-)

Cheers,

André.