[Tagging] road side

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 19 15:24:03 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-19 14:37, Tod Fitch wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2013, at 6:24 AM, Craig Wallace wrote:
>> Sounds like you mean the "shoulder". See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shoulder
>> It should usually be tagged as an attribute on the highway, not mapped as a separate way or area.
>> Craig
> +1
> Except that I think in the UK they might call it the verge so we might have a dialect issue.

Shoulder is a fairly common term in the UK.
Usually as in "hard shoulder", ie a paved lane at the side of a 
motorway, which you are not allowed to drive on or park on, except for 
See Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_%28road%29

A verge is quite different - usually a grassy area, next to the road. 
And may be rather rough, with bumps, holes, ditches, or obstructed with 
bushes or trees. So probably not a good idea to drive or park on it.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_verge


More information about the Tagging mailing list