[Tagging] Tagging of topographic areas with a name

Masi Master masi-master at gmx.de
Mon Aug 19 21:51:42 UTC 2013

Am 17.08.2013, 17:13 Uhr, schrieb fly <lowflight66 at googlemail.com>:

> On 16.08.2013 19:05, Masi Master wrote:
>> The problem is, that multipolygon don't work in 2 cases:
>> - The areas touch each other.
>> - The "areas" are multipolygons. A multipolygon as a member in a other
>> multipolygon is not allowed.
>>
>> Either we allowed this, or we need any relation which collect these
>> things...
>
> You can always split the ways and use the parts tagged with "outer/inner"

I thought about a lake, which has some parts with a own name.
If we need an additional multipolygon for the whole lake, first we had to
cut off the island twice (in the lake and the sub-lake), and second we can
not tag both lakes with natural water, because we don't want to add more
water to the database than exists.

So in my eyes, we need both (upper) features for multipolygons. It prevent
errors if an island is not cut off twice by multipolygon:inner. And the
whole lake can be combined by the sub-lakes, without the natural=water tag.

This is a bit away from the new valley & mountain discus, but has a
connection to the first mail.
Tagging should be thought-out with possible examples, if we don't want to
change the tagging or live with a bad tagging.