[Tagging] Consolidating tags for building attributes

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Fri Aug 23 17:21:16 UTC 2013

Hello Vivien,

I develop a 3D renderer working with OSM data, so I will look at your
questions based on that background.

Case A: roof:material vs. building:roof

The preferred key from 3D rendering documentation is roof:material
because, as you guessed, it clearly differentiates this attribute from
roof:shape. Based on just the wording of the key, building:roof could be
either - so you would have to look it up.

Case B: building:walls vs. building:material

I'm not sure what building:walls means exactly, I'm not using that tag
for rendering so far. But I can clarify the intention with
building:material: It's supposed to represent the outer material as seen
while mapping on-the-ground. Therefore, "plaster" is a valid value for
building:material because that's the outermost layer, even though the
entire wall is not made from plaster. If building:walls has the same
meaning, then I prefer building:material for the same reason as in Case A.

Case C: building vs. building:use

I have to agree with you here, the values used for the building key are
quite chaotic. But from the original intention as I remember it, I do
not think that the two things have the same meaning. For example, a
commonly cited example is that a church building which is no longer used
as a church and is now a museum (but still looks like a typical church)
would be tagged building=church + amenity=museum.

Personally, I only use a few hand-picked values from the building key
that have a rather clear meaning.

As for Case D and the other suggested keys, these are new or seem
unrelated to 3D rendering. However, I'm not sure about the exact meaning
of your suggested shape:elevation?

Tobias