[Tagging] Micro mapping traffic signals

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Tue Aug 27 15:15:06 UTC 2013

It's more reliable to guess the direction by
nearest-distance-to-next-intersection than to rely on any mappers to
keep that up to date, especially with iD making it extremly easy (which
is good) to change a ways direction.

nodes should NOT depend on the direction of any way they belong to.

Second argument against that:
imagine you added the traffic signal as you proposed, I use the same
node for a pedestrian crossing (which fits, as the pedestrian crossing
controlled by traffic signals will nearly exactly be where the traffic
light is on the street).
Now your node is part of two ways - and what now?

Another example: the way ends at your node on both sides - and both ways
go to different directions - and now?

sorry: bad idea IMHO ;)

regards
Peter

P.S.: If that general idea would have been good we would not need
relations for some turn restrictions either.