[Tagging] Micro mapping traffic signals

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 15:38:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Peter Wendorff
<wendorff at uni-paderborn.de> wrote:
> It's more reliable to guess the direction by
> nearest-distance-to-next-intersection than to rely on any mappers to
> keep that up to date, especially with iD making it extremly easy (which
> is good) to change a ways direction.

This was also my argument in the past. But you still have cases where
it's not 100% reliable e.g. when the node is between two
intersections.

> Now your node is part of two ways - and what now?

The attribute is about traffic signals, you can safely ignore the
pedestrian way (until traffic signals will be common for
pedestrians...) If the tag is placed on a real intersection node, we
can consider this as a mapping mistake and fallback to the old fashion
of mapping traffic lights. But again, I'm not here to defend this tag
but to propose a replacement by a relation.

> Another example: the way ends at your node on both sides - and both ways
> go to different directions - and now?

First, this can controlled by a QA tool and fixed.
Second, read my OP. My proposal is to replace this direction on node
by a relation...

Pieren