[Tagging] bicycle barriers open issue: bicycle trailors

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 09:45:57 UTC 2013

"bicycle:trailer=no would say "it's not ALLOWED to cross this barrier
with a trailer" - and that is simple but wrong."

You have a point there.

What I want  ideally is the equivalent of "width" (which I can measure) and
not of "max_width" (which is written on an official road sign).
But on a cycle barrier of type chicane there are too many parameters to
measure.

On the  other hand we do have many barriers here where a normal cyclist
needs to stop (unless he is an acrobat), hence bicycle=dismount, and then
many where it's clear that a cycle trailer or tandem do not pass. I want
this information in the data somehow, where I want to use the other two
tags.

Not tagging these impediments is not a good option. I
Any alternative tagging proposals?
BTW the barrier business is also of interest to wheelchair users

Volker