[Tagging] telephone lines (and marking other things we don't map)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Aug 28 18:34:47 UTC 2013

How about a lightweight version of this, for the rather common situation
where the power infrastructure follows the roads, and the mapping won't be
detailed due to lack of micro-mapping energy?  Think miles and miles of
rural highway... are you planning to trace each road?  Can't you map a lot
more power, if you can leverage the road geometry?

We have lots of geometry that follows roads: sidewalks, bike lanes,
cycleways, contraflow cycleways, kerbs.  Why not power?
    highway=tertiary
    overhead_wires:left=*CATV;phone;power;fibre;tin-can-strings*

Or even:
    highway=tertiary
    associated_utility_cabling=[*overhead/underground/none/unknown*]
    associated_utility_cabling:type=*
CATV;phone;power;fibre;tin-can-strings;power_trunk;power_regional;power_distribution
*

if someone later wants to come along and map each pole, wire and bird nest,
no problem! * But the first level approximation is "are there a lot of
wires running overhead or not"? *  Only when the power lines diverge from
roads is a separate way strictly necessary.