[Tagging] funny tags: turning_radius

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:07:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

I was very surprised to come across that tag
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turning_radius> because I just
commented it on the Osmand forum without knowing its existence. They
(GPS speakers and speakerines) call a bend a "sharp" or "slight" turn
according to the number of degrees in change of direction. I pointed out
that the expression "sharp" sounds differently, like "danger", more,
instead of degrees, like the radius of curvature which, at a given speed
and other conditions, decides whether the car will skid off the road or
preferably not ;-)
Indeed, turning_radius could be used very appropriately on a more
conventional road to warn against dangerous bends and the contrast with
the more restricted usage "This tag was created for the specific needs
of logging [to tell which timbering vehicle can pass a bend]" is
somewhat funny.
Of course, "rain vs dry", "new vs worn tires", ... and "Nanny vs Kid
driving" would be funny GPS settings too.

Cheers,

André.