[Tagging] funny tags: turning_radius

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 21:33:30 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-29 20:08, fly wrote :
> On 29.08.2013 16:33, Pieren wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 4:07 PM, André Pirard <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
>> <mailto:A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     I was very surprised to come across that tag
>>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:turning_radius>
>>

>> I will remove it from the "map features" page. Radius can be calculated
>> from the way geometry. It has been used 7 times by one user so far...
>> Next comments on this should be forwarded to the tagging list.
> It should be placed under proposal name space.
>
> As it might not be useful for highways for some barriers it is needed
> (see other thread about cycle_barrier).
For any radius to be calculable by the way geometry, *all* OSM turns
should be precisely mapped.  The  turning_radius tag however contains a
presumably correct value.  All other turns are presumably suspect.
I wanted to make some checks and this roundabout happened to be open
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/50.57678/5.55340> in JOSM on my
desktop. View with Bing layer and see if the roundabout access curve
radius is calculable.  I didn't go further. I don't claim that these
values are useful to know, I say that the same happens probably everywhere.

Finally, I wanted this to be fun and a poor innocent was punished.

Please pardon me, Damien :-(

André.