[Tagging] Tagging for a pack station?

dies38061 at mypacks.net dies38061 at mypacks.net
Fri Aug 30 21:36:29 UTC 2013

(response to message archived at http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-August/014639.html )

I took a look around and likely the closest match, albeit still a far one, would be "Trail riding station" which is listed among features on the page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Riding .  It is telling that though there are ~500 used instances of route=horse, there are no instances for either route=mule, route=donkey or route=pack_animal.  So I think that the whole matter of mapping verrry rugged terrain where only pack animals have a reasonable chance of traversing terrain is relatively un-addressed so far.  In the case you are looking at, what type of route are you working with?  Does it have a designated or preferred animal permissive?  Or is it a standard horse route which would be tagged with smoothness=impassable and surface=ground?  --ceyockey