[Tagging] preproposal : internet webcam

Egil Hjelmeland privat at egil-hjelmeland.no
Sun Dec 1 20:04:36 UTC 2013

On 01. des. 2013 18:11, Peter Wendorff wrote:
> Am 01.12.2013 16:05, schrieb Egil Hjelmeland:
>> On 01. des. 2013 15:28, Peter Wendorff wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I'm not happy with contact:webcam, as the contact namespace IMHO serves
>>> a different purpose.
>>> contact:webcam could define whom to contact for questions regarding the
>>> webcam, or whom to contact BY webcam (as contact:phone is for how to
>>> contact e.g. a shop by phone).
>>> 1) I would change the order, as it's part of the webcam information, not
>>> part of the contact information, which would lead to webcam:*
>>> 2) I would use url instead of contact, if it should refer to where the
>>> webcams output can be seen, whcih would lead to webcam:url=*
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Peter
>>>
>> Check https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:contact
> Yes, it's defined there, but that doesn't make it a good solution.
> It's used 180 times worldwide according to taginfo.
>
> A check through first 50 values listed in taginfo [1] reveals:
> 1) all of them are website urls
> 2) most of the URLs are dead or wrong
> 3) the valid ones are mixed: some refer to the image, some to a website
> containing the image, some probably even to a fixed image (not updated),
> but I couldn't check that properly.
> 4) 80 values are from the same domain and refer to cameras of the same
> operator or organization:
> http://www1.eot.state.ma.us/cam_updated_images/*.jpg
>
> To conclude this I would say:
> The tag is not yet used much (especially due to (4)).
> It is not used in a unified way (see (3))
>
> Therefore it's not useable in the current form.
>
> And as it doesn't fit semantically (it's not a URL to contact someone,
> but to see something), I don't see a big issue in "fixing" that by
> moving the tag to another key and to define it better.
>
> regards
> Peter
>
> [1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/contact%3Awebcam#values

Do you have any reference to back up your claim that contact:*= is
intended only to provide contact info for reaching  humans?

As I have stated before, I do not care too much about what the key is,
as long as it is documented.

As for now, I think contact:webcam is best because of previous work:
  - it is already in https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:contact
  - it is proposed in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Extended_tags_for_Key:Surveillance
  - it is actually used, although no much

Inconsistent usage, dead links for contact=webcam is IMHO not a valid
argument against its use. It is just a consequence of poor
documentation, so we do not get the full power of crowd sourcing.

Regards
Egil