[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Bicycle=use_cycleway

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Sun Dec 1 21:38:42 UTC 2013

On 1 December 2013 10:04, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> I mean that bicycle=no bans  bicycles from the road, while the actual
> situation is that you have to use the cycleway if it leads where you are
> going (and nothing bans you from using the road). If you want to turn left
> for instance but the cycleway goes straight, you can use the road. There is
> no ban of bikes on the road.

I don't think this is true in the Netherlands. Situations like you
describe are quite rare in the Netherlands, but I did find one:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Marconibaan,+Nieuwegein,+The+Netherlands&hl=en&ll=52.02938,5.101267&spn=0.001149,0.004823&sll=51.566277,5.062965&sspn=0.002574,0.004823&oq=marconibaan&t=h&hnear=Marconibaan,+Nieuwegein,+The+Netherlands&z=18&layer=c&cbll=52.029299,5.10157&panoid=3G1tWOtoUdO_1hUBl5deXw&cbp=11,219.58,,0,2.4

I would expect that cyclists are not allowed to turn left on this
crossing at all, and I don't think they would be allowed to use the
main road here.

I'm also not sure why you think it is like you describe in Germany. It
certainly is not explicitly written like that in the law. Could you
point me to an example of such a crossing in Germany?

Perhaps the answer depends on the meaning of 'leading into the same
direction' in the convention: does making a turn qualifies as going in
a different direction, or does it just refer to forward and backward?

-- Matthijs