[Tagging] preproposal : internet webcam

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Tue Dec 3 06:32:54 UTC 2013

Am 02.12.2013 11:31, schrieb Pieren:
> Adding a sub-tag will simply move the current 21700
> man_made=surveillance elements without subtags in uncertainty.

OK, that is a point, I agree here.

> I still think that a (public) webcam could be tagged differently from
> a CCTV because it's not the same purpose and not the same legislation
> even if it is a camera and may transit throught the net. One is
> public, the other not.
> May I suggest:
> man_made=public_webcam
> website=*    ('url' is deprecated in the wiki)

May I suggest another direction to move in the situation?

I see a camera - but absolutely do not know which purpose it has.
Both opportunities (surveillance/webcam) are possible with this
installation.
Which tag should I use then?
Shall I have to dig it out before tagging?
Or shall I simply ignore the camera and do not tag it?

If we want to extend the tagging, we should use a new but generic tag
(camera?) in my opinion.
Yes, this may result in parallel tagging - but we should not run in the
next cul-de-sac with one's eyes open.

Georg