[Tagging] preproposal : internet webcam

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 10:48:24 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Georg Feddern <osm at bavarianmallet.de> wrote:

> If we want to extend the tagging, we should use a new but generic tag
> (camera?) in my opinion.
> Yes, this may result in parallel tagging - but we should not run in the next
> cul-de-sac with one's eyes open.

We already have some tags which are not specifying the purpose of an
element (highway=road or building=yes). I wouldn't have problems with
that. But imho, the public webcams are the exception and most of the
time, the camera is for surveillance. This can fixed later when you
discover later that's a public webcam.
Note that sometimes, it can be hard to map., e.g. this pole with 11
cctv's in China :)
http://weibo.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2013/11/portique1.jpg
or that one with ~60 cams (in China again):
http://weibo.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2013/11/portique2.jpg

Pieren