[Tagging] how to tag a terrace?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 20:01:56 UTC 2013

2013/12/13 Dan S <danstowell+osm at gmail.com>

> "highway=pedestrian area, with [...] surface=paving_stones" seems to
> tag it pretty well to me.

those tags aren't on the relation that represents the whole object though.

> > IMHO building would fit, what are the alternatives? man_made and
> historic,
> > but historic would exclude similar constructions of recent make.
> Man_made is
> > usually for more technical stuff, and in the past we used building even
> for
> > ships (that don't move any more, with a restaurant inside).
>
> building doesn't make sense to me. It is "built" in the sense of being
> "man-made" or "architectural", but then so is a bridge, a fountain,
> etc.

yes, as we don't have a tag for bridges either (all we use is an attribute
to a railway or highway that it is on a bridge, we don't actually map the
bridge itself, besides the bridge relation maybe), a building=bridge is
fine for me as well.

> Perhaps you could say what _aspect_ of the terrace you consider is not
> reflected in the tagging that Fabrizio describes?

Actually it was himself who described that the terrace consists of several
parts:

   - A highway=pedestrian area, with black and white tiles marked as
   surface=paving_stones (that's the one with the terrace's balustrades)
   - An acquarium [4]
   - Grass areas
   - A gazebo construction

The photo you
> originally linked to shows a large and decorative pedestrian area,
> which is not difficult to map.

it is not just a pedestrian area, it is also retaining walls, ceiling, a
pavillon, stairs, foundations, ...
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/474/terrazzamascagniwj9.jpg

The multipolygon collects together the
> geographic features that people presumably think of when they think of
> the name Terrazza Mascagni. So, if those things don't satisfy you,
> there must be some additional _quality_ that you have in mind?

I think that there is clearly an "object"  which is called "terrazza xy"
which consists of several parts, which is a built structure, and which is
more than just a pedestrian area. I think that who created the multipolygon
relation thought the same (hence he created the relation and attached the
name and wikipedia link to it).

cheers,
Martin