[Tagging] How to tag max width at chicane-type bicycle barriers

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Dec 15 04:02:29 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 4:30 AM, Richard Mann <
richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com> wrote:

> You could probably calculate it for "standard" bikes by drawing a ?0.7m
> straight path through the barrier and then calculating the degrees of
> deviation from straight that requires.

I might be missing something here.  0.7m is awful short for a standard
bike.  Granted, my bike is on the large side for a standard bike (at 6'2"
(1.88m) in length, it's just 4" short of the maximum length allowed on the
vast majority of transit systems (6'6" or 1.98m).  City of Portland (and
likely soon, USDOT) consider a single bicycle parking space as minimum
3'x6' (though I'd really prefer it, and wouldn't be surprised, if they
bumped that up to 7' or 8' just to be consistent with 6'6" being a popular
maxlength requirement and provide for a little extra clearance given
inconsistencies with locking strategies between riders).