[Tagging] How to tag max width at chicane-type bicycle barriers

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 10:30:57 UTC 2013

I've pondered this without conclusion, yet.

Unfortunately it's a bit complicated, since length and width of vehicle,
width of barrier and width of path all come into play.

You could probably calculate it for "standard" bikes by drawing a ?0.7m
straight path through the barrier and then calculating the degrees of
deviation from straight that requires. But that's a bit fiddly and doesn't
really help you for non-standard bikes.

Maybe:
barrier:bicycle=feet-up (for ones where with practice you can get through
without putting your feet down)
barrier:bicycle=feet-down (for ones where you have to put your feet down
but don't have to lift and move wheels sideways)
barrier:bicycle=wheel-up (for ones where you have to lift and move wheels
sideways)
barrier:bicycle=dismount (for ones where you have to dismount)
barrier:bicycle=bike-up (for ones where the bike has to be lifted
completely)
barrier:bicycle=no (for ones where bicycles can't get through at all)

with similar for tandem and bicycle_trailer

Richard