[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Dec 31 23:20:36 UTC 2013

On 12/31/2013 04:54 PM, Fernando Trebien wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM, malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch
> <mailto:osm_ at malenki.ch>> wrote:
>
>     I wouldn't connect surface=compacted and tracktype=grade1 per default
>     since compacted roads and and roads with really paved surface (asphalt
>     or cobblestones) are not unlikely to show a very different driving
>     experience after some good rain.
>     Of course this also depends on your definition of "compacted". :)
>

> This is an important point where it gets tricky to reach "global"
> agreement. As a driver here in Brazil (and having driven abroad only
> in the US, even though I've been using public transportation in other
> countries too), my experience tells me that even a sett road has
> different characteristics after rain. Sett becomes slippery and, thus,
> less safe (even in sunny conditions it may be less preferable to some
> people). Any unpaved road (compacted or not, but mostly not compacted
> ones) will not only make your car dirtier but may increase the chance
> of bogging and it is perhaps even less safe than wet sett streets.
> Exactly when these things become relevant as to deserve different
> rendering is somewhat subjective. My personal perception is that the
> largest difference appears when going from paved to unpaved (thus,
> including "compacted" on the "unpaved" side); the Brazilian community
> seems to disagree and includes "compacted" on the "paved"-like side
> (mostly because many regions in Brazil have almost solely unpaved
> roads). One possible solution is voting on various possible thresholds
> and sticking with a single style change (my current aim, as I think
> this is the fastest way to get results). In case of too much
> disagreement, another solution is introducing various different
> rendering styles for each of these situations (much like Carto's many
> rendering styles of highway=track according to trackgrade; this could
> affect only outlines of the ways). Other solutions may fall in between
> these two.

Even with a compacted dirt road, how usable it is after a rain can vary
according to the soil type, the terrain, and how long it has been
raining.  My experience on clay soil suggests that, if the water can
drain off quickly, the road will be slippery but not too soft.  If the
water is able to pool and soak in, you can end up with a morass that
won't be passable until much later.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.