[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Dec 31 23:36:21 UTC 2013

On 12/31/13 5:54 PM, Fernando Trebien wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM, malenki <osm_ at malenki.ch
> <mailto:osm_ at malenki.ch>> wrote:
>
>     I wouldn't connect surface=compacted and tracktype=grade1 per default
>     since compacted roads and and roads with really paved surface (asphalt
>     or cobblestones) are not unlikely to show a very different driving
>     experience after some good rain.
>     Of course this also depends on your definition of "compacted". :)
>

> This is an important point where it gets tricky to reach "global"
> agreement.
properly, we should be talking about a consistent tagging scheme that
accurately describes the road surface. the rendering isn't the business of
the tagging group. we just need to produce tagging that is clear,
consistent, and reasonably complete. it seems to me that a simple edit
to the wiki extending tracktype=grade? across road classifications
other than track accomplishes most of what we want here, along with
encouraging use of the surface tag in an appropriate manner.
attempting to somehow relate surface= to specific tracktypes seems
like a bad deal to me; i've seen gravel roads that were grade1, and
gravel roads that were way, way worse than grade1.

there are reasons why there may need to be custom rendering stylesheets
for different parts of the world. it may be as simple as local taste,
but there
can be other issues - the new highway shield rendering for the US is really
nice, but may not make it into the main Carto style sheet, so there's a
chance the highway shields will get rolled out in an openstreetmap.us style.

richard