[Tagging] Tunnels and bridges

Christopher Hoess cahoess at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 15:34:51 GMT 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:14 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/1/31 Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com>:
>> In my opinion this is a rather obvious approach therefore I'm not
>> surprised that someone already came up with it earlier. But I am
>> definitively surprised that we don't have any documentation in the
>> wiki for it.
>

> there are real examples, e.g. these two:

> which started with bridge=area and name=* but were "fixed" in the
> meantime ("fix nonconforming uses of bridge tag")
> ;-)

My sincere apologies. At the time, I was rooting through the "long
tail" of "bridge=" values trying to figure out what values were being
used and should be supported by a new proposal, fixing typos
("bridge=ye") and so on; I really shouldn't have removed that. IIRC,
it was only two bridges I saw in Italy that were tagged that way, so I
haven't been going around removing large numbers of bridges marked up
this way. It was neither a common nor a documented usage, which is
probably why I was overbold in removing the markup.

I have no objection to a good system for dealing with outlining bridge
area, multiple ways sharing a span, and so forth, but as I haven't any
particularly good ideas to offer, I haven't really engaged the
problem.

--
Chris Hoess