[Tagging] tower vs mast vs antenna

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 7 10:56:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 06:47:03PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> In UK English, the word "aerial" is used instead of "antenna".
>
> I have the impression, not well substantiated, that what I would call a
> tower in the US is often called a mast in the UK, particularly if it is
> not particularly tall and not built of steel lattice.

In the UK English, the word tower without context would usually suggest
a stone, often historic, structure.

Likewise, mast would be the usual name for something other than brick/
masonary/wood supporting an aerial/antenna. That regardless of height.

There are obvious exceptions like the Eiffel tower & Blackpool tower.

But I don't think UK native speakers would be too worried by slight
deviations.

ael