[Tagging] tower vs mast vs antenna

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Sun Feb 17 23:59:57 UTC 2013

Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, 2013-02-16 at 22:22 +0000, Chris Hill wrote:

> thing
> "Church
> > > So, what symbol do they use for a church that has both a tower and
> a spire, either separately or with the spire atop the tower?
> > >

> > As I see it: If there is no tower or spire then just a cross. With a
>
> > tower, but no spire then a square with a cross. With spire, either
> with
> > or without a tower (often with a tower below the spire) then a round
>
> > symbol with a cross. The highest, most stand-out-visible object
> > determines the symbol, which makes sense to me. The maps in question
>
> > were designed to show such things partly as a visual aid to
> navigation
> > so symbolising the most visible object was most useful.
> >
> Often when walking between villages the footpath will follow a line
> directly between church towers/spires. The visible landmarks that
> existed before maps or gps.
>
> Along with contours, probably a useful feature OSM is missing.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

The type of horse racing known as steeple-chasing, in which the riders and horses have to leap over fences, hedges, and water hazards, originated as impromptu cross-country races across farmers' fields, using a distant church steeple as the finish line, because it was the type of landmark easiest seen from a distance.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com