[Tagging] Grades for obstacle=vegetation

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 21:37:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Konfrare Albert
<lakonfrariadelavila at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Some people has suggested me to include a gradient for the key
> obstacle=vegetation.
>
> One suggestion was something like vegetation=light|medium|dense.

I think we don't need so much detail about the obstacle. If it's light
vegetation, then it's not much of an obstacle, but this proposal
doesn't bother me as long as it's optional.

> Another private proposal was:
> obstacle=vegetation_grade1 (vegetation bother when walking)
> obstacle=vegetation_grade2 (the vegetation must be moved with the hands to
> continue on the path)
> obstacle=vegetation_grade3 (vegetation requires me to move my body to get
> through)
> obstacle=vegetation_grade4 (the vegetation must be cut by manual tools to
> get through)
> obstacle=vegetation_grade5 (the vegetation must be cut by mechanical tools
> to get through)
> Or to use obstacle=vegetation (for grades 1,2,3) and obstacle=fallen_tree
> (for grades 4,5)
> I think that in this case, could be better use the key
> vegetation=grade1|grade2|grade3|grade4|grade5

This kind of scheme never gets used other than by "extreme mappers"
(usually just by the person who made the proposal). I say forget it.

> At first, I rejected the proposals because verifiability is not guaranteed,
> but perhaps it is necessary to have a gradient for obstacle=vegetation like
> in tracktype=* (where the verifiability isn't guarenteed).

I don't think we need it, but if we have it, the first proposal sounds ok.

> I pose this question because I'd like to hear your opinions about it.

I like to keep tagging as simple as possible, and vegetation as an
obstacle has a lot of potential to change frequently. Ever seen a corn
maze?

- Serge