[Tagging] bicycle-no on motorways

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat Feb 9 12:06:16 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 18:15 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> > Around my area in the UK a user is presently adding bicycle=no to all
> > motorways. There was a discussion a while back whether it that tag was
> > implied for motorways. If I remember, it was claimed there were some places
> > (not UK) that allowed bicycles. What was the consensus?
>
> There are definitely plenty of motorways around the world that allow
> bicycles. Where I am (Melbourne, Australia), they do by default -
> those that forbid them have signs saying so.

I have had a quick look around Melbourne's motorway entrances on
streetview and all I have looked at have a sign like this
http://goo.gl/maps/0hC6c.

Please can you point out one that does allow cyclists?

You say Melbourne, I assume you mean Victoria? Allowing cities to have a
separate highway code would be scarey. I expect to learn different rules
when I drive in France, but not if I cross the border into Wales or
Scotland.

Phil